Thursday, October 22, 2009

What is society's definition of poor?

I went to the Yates County building today and helped with childcare during a community outreach for a group called rotaract. The idea was to watch the children, which ranged from 9 months to about 7, while the parents were taught how to make a healthy meal and then actually made it for all of us to eat.

First of all, the kids were soooooooooooooo cute. Did I mention I wanna work as a pediatric OT when I get outta school? Anyway, I was with the nine month old, and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. she was so cut and curious and drooly. (okay, the drool was a little gross, but what evs, no one's perfect).

So when the meal was ready, the lady that runs the program invited us to stay and eat, so we did because there was very little chance we were gonna make it back in time to eat in the dining hall, and as much as I love subway, I love my money more. So we stayed for some baked mac and cheese and applesauce, which was alright. I polietly took a small helping, cleared my plate, washed it, and went back and watched the kids while my colleagues had seconds. Now really, I couldn't bring myself to do that, because these people are here because they cannot afford to feed their kids a healthy meal , and I'm gonna take seconds?

Now, I have a confession to make. I've kind of been reading up on poverty, (Nickeled and Dimed and The Working Poor) as I'm on a weird non-fiction kick thanks to the crazy Mr. Obenauer who made me read Freakonomics (can't wait to read the sequel) for my Sociology class last year. On good point that The Workig Poor made is that people lving in poverty do their best not to be left behind by society, and thus, they pay for expensive cable TV to stay connected with society. I understand this to a point, but I have to say, I do not understand why an Env3 would be necesary. Any old cell phone would do, you would think, so why a $50 phone connected to expensive service plan? I have an Env3. It's a very nice phone. I got it for graduation, and I absolutely love it. But I think if I was struggling to feed my children, a tracfone would be just fine. I'm still wondering whether part of poverty is bad choices. The same man was also complaining about how expensive Rogaine is and talking about making a $400 purchase of some kind (I was trying not to eavesdrop, but he was talking very loud. discretion seemed not to be part of his repitoire). This is the same family who didn't bring shoes for their 9 month old and encouraged us to wipe the baby's nose (which was like a freaking fountain) with the blanket, which had been all over the floor. I don't get it.

5 comments:

Nicole said...

Part of bad choices? Of course it's bad choices, all bad choices! In this country, that is, where opportunity is readily abundant for those who are willing to work to take advantage of it. Sure, some need to work harder to have these opportunities available, but they're there. (Unless, of course, the poverty came of a recent unfortunate event, like a natural disaster or health issue etc.)

Allison said...

Well, I agree that may be the case IN SOME CASES, but oten times, there are seemingly simple (to us) obstacles that keep the poor poor.

Nicole said...

Exactly. The fact that they aren't seeing those simple obstacles and therefore making wrong choices is what I said. Many people are poor because they're lazy.

Allison said...

k. ur going snob on me. can u not admit that there may be obstacles that keep people poor even if they are not lazy? I think that massive overgeneraliation shows a lack of education on the issue. Read Nickeled and Dimed, then talk to me.

Nicole said...

Yes, I already said that there are other reasons. Of course being lazy isn't the only one. I mentioned some others in my first comment in the parenthesis. Your blog was general, so my comment was general. Of course there are always exceptions to every rule. That's basically the most accurate saying ever. "There are exceptions to every rule."